This notice generates when Chief Counsel receives a referral of your Form 2553, Election by a Small Business Corporation.
What you need to do
- Quickly respond to any inquiries from Chief Counsel, as you may be subject to a user fee.
- To review Chief Counsel user fees, see Internal Revenue Bulletin 2017-01 (PDF), or its predecessor.
You may want to
- Keep this notice in your permanent records.
Answers to common questions
Will you notify me about the election’s approval?
Yes, you will receive written notification when we approve or deny your election.
Can I file Form 1120S?
No, you must not file Form 1120S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S. Corporation (PDF) until we approve your Subchapter S election.
Tips for next year
- IRS e-file Providers and Large Taxpayers authorized to participate in IRS e-file can file Forms 1120, U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return (PDF); 1120S; and 1120-F, U.S. Income Tax Return of a Foreign Corporation (PDF), through Modernized e-File.
- IRS e-file Providers and Large Taxpayers authorized by IRS should follow the official guidance listed under "How to Participate" on the Form 1120/1120S/1120-F-e-file webpage.
- You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.