Understanding Your CP295A Notice

We charged you a penalty on your Form 5500.

What you need to do

  • Pay the amount due to avoid additional penalty and interest charges.

Answers to Common Questions

What steps can I take if I can't pay the full amount?
Visit irs.gov/Payments for more information about payment options.

What if I don't pay the amount by the due date?
Additional penalties and interest will accrue.

Can I request the penalty be removed or reduced?
If you believe a penalty should be reconsidered, mail a signed statement to the address on your notice. Identify which penalty you want reconsidered and why. We'll review the information and let you know if we accept your explanation.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

Need Help?

  • You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.