There is a delay processing your refund because you may owe other federal taxes.
What you need to do
- Do nothing at this time
- You will
- Receive a notice letting you know where we applied your refund toward other federal taxes you owe, or
- Receive your refund, with any applicable interest, in 6-8 weeks
You may want to
- Wait at least 6-8 weeks before calling regarding this notice
Answers to Common Questions
Why did I get this notice?
Your refund is available to apply to an outstanding non-individual liability or a balance on another account.
How long does it take to determine any non-individual liability?
Allow six to eight weeks for the IRS to determine if a non-individual account tax liability exists.
What happens after the refund is applied?
After the credit is applied, if any part of the refund remains, it will be refunded with interest, if applicable.
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF).
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.