There is a delay processing your refund because you may owe other federal taxes.
What you need to do
- Do nothing at this time
- You will
- Receive a notice letting you know where we applied your refund toward other federal taxes you owe, or
- Receive your refund, with any applicable interest, in 6-8 weeks
You may want to
- Wait at least 6-8 weeks before calling regarding this notice
Frequently asked questions
Why did I get this notice?
Your refund is available to apply to an outstanding non-individual liability or a balance on another account.
How long does it take to determine any non-individual liability?
Allow six to eight weeks for the IRS to determine if a non-individual account tax liability exists.
What happens after the refund is applied?
After the credit is applied, if any part of the refund remains, it will be refunded with interest, if applicable.
- You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.