Understanding your CP51C Notice


What this notice is about

We computed the tax on your Form 1040 or 1040-SR return. Your account balance is zero.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully. It will explain how we calculated your tax return.
  • You don't need to do anything if you agree with our calculations.
  • Contact us if you disagree with the amount of tax we computed.

Frequently asked questions

What should I do if I disagree with the notice?

Call us at the toll-free number on the top right corner of your notice. Please have your paperwork (such as cancelled checks, amended return, etc.) ready when you call.

Helpful information

Tips for next time you file

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Need help?