IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding Your CP53A Notice

We tried to direct deposit your refund, but the financial institution couldn’t process it. We are researching your account, but it will take 8 to 10 weeks to reissue your refund.

What you need to do

  • If you don’t receive your refund check or a follow-up letter within 10 weeks, call us at 1-866-682-7451 x733.
  • If you call us before then, we won’t have any information about the status of your refund until we complete the research on your account.

Answers to Common Questions

Why was my direct deposit refund returned to the IRS?
A financial institution will reject a refund for a variety of reasons. Most often, one of the following items doesn’t match its records:

  • Name
  • SSN
  • Routing number
  • Account number

Why will it take up to 10 weeks to receive my refund?
We must research your account to determine if you are entitled to the refund. We try to balance customer service and tax compliance by reviewing tax returns to prevent fraudulent or erroneous refunds. However, these critical reviews add time to refund processing. Refund timeframes are also affected by:

  • Bankruptcy
  • An open audit
  • A balance due on a related account (such as a different tax year)

Will calling the IRS give me additional information or speed my refund?
No, calling the IRS won’t do anything to speed your refund. You don’t need to call us unless we ask you to. If we need more information to process your refund, we’ll contact you by mail. Our telephone assistors won’t be able to provide any additional information.

Is the estimated date my tax preparer, tax software, or “Where’s My Refund” provided a guarantee of when I’ll get my refund?
Unfortunately, we can’t guarantee the date when a taxpayer will get his or her refund. While we can provide an estimate, this is a “best-case scenario” where the tax return doesn’t require any additional review or corrections.We work hard to issue refunds as quickly as possible. However, you shouldn’t make major financial decisions based on the estimated issue date of a tax refund.

Can I direct part of my refund into my tax professional’s checking or savings account to pay my tax preparation fee?
No. You can direct your refund to any of your checking or savings accounts. You can’t direct your refund to someone else’s account (except for your spouse’s account when you have a joint refund).

Tips for next year

If you request a direct deposit refund, ensure the account you specify is in your name (or your spouse’s if you have a joint refund).

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 22-Dec-2015

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)



How to get help