What this notice is about
We tried to direct deposit your refund, but the financial institution couldn’t process it. We are researching your account, but it will take 8 to 10 weeks to complete our review and verify this refund.
What you need to do
- You don’t need to do anything at this time.
You may want to
- Call us at the toll-free number on the notice if you don’t receive your refund check or a follow-up letter within 10 weeks
- Monitor your financial accounts
If you notice any suspicious or unusual activity, you should:
- Notify your financial institutions
- Contact the fraud department of one of the three major credit bureaus
- Report any fraudulent activity to your local police or sheriff's department
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission
- Submit a Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit (PDF)
Frequently asked questions
Submit a Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit, to the IRS address in the Form 14039 instructions.
No. You can direct your refund to any of your checking or savings accounts. You can’t direct your refund to someone else’s account (except for your spouse’s account when you have a joint refund).
We must research your account to determine if you are entitled to the refund. We try to balance customer service and tax compliance when we review tax returns. Refund timeframes are also affected by:
- An open audit
- A balance due on a related account (such as a different tax year)
No, calling us won’t speed up your refund. You don’t need to call us unless we send you a letter that asks you to contact us. Our telephone assistors won’t be able to provide any additional information.
Tips for next year
- If you request a direct deposit refund, be sure the account you specify is in your name (or your spouse’s if you have a joint refund).
- If you changed your name as a result of a recent marriage or divorce, be sure the name on your tax return matches the name registered with the Social Security Administration.
- Never direct your refund to an account that belongs to a relative, friend, or tax return preparer.