Understanding Your CP53D Notice


What this notice is about

We can't direct deposit your refund because we limit the number of direct deposit refunds to the same bank account or on the same pre-paid debit card.

What you need to do

  • If you filed this tax return, you’re not required to do anything at this time.
  • If you didn’t file this tax return and you believe someone is using your personal information, such as your name and social security number, to file a tax return, you should monitor your accounts and contact the IRS. You should also:
    • Follow the steps recommended by the Federal Trade Commission regarding ID theft.
    • Submit Form 14039, ID Theft Affidavit  PDF, or a police report indicating ID Theft as the issue to the IRS address in the Form 14039 instructions, if this is tax-related ID theft.

You may want to

Track your refund on the IRS website.

Frequently asked questions

Why am I receiving a paper check?

The IRS limits the number of direct deposit refunds to the same bank account or on the same pre-paid debit card. Because your request exceeded our direct deposit limits, we’re sending you a paper check instead.

Will calling the IRS give me additional information or allow me to get my refund sooner?

No, calling the IRS won’t do anything to speed up your refund. You don’t need to call us unless we ask you to. If we need more information to process your refund, we’ll contact you by mail. Our telephone assistors won’t be able to provide any additional information.

Is the estimated date my tax preparer, tax software, or “Where’s My Refund” provided a guarantee of when I’ll get my refund?

Unfortunately, we can’t guarantee the date when you’ll get your refund. While we can provide an estimate, this is a “best-case scenario” where the tax return doesn’t require any additional review or corrections. We try to issue refunds as quickly as possible. However, you shouldn’t make major financial decisions based on the estimated issue date of a tax refund.

Can I direct part of my refund into my tax professional’s checking or savings account to pay my tax preparation fee?

No. You cannot direct your refund to someone else’s account (except for your spouse’s account when you have a joint refund).

What should I do if I feel this is a tax-related ID Theft?

If this is tax-related ID theft, you should submit a Form 14039, ID Theft Affidavit  PDF, to the IRS address in the Form 14039 instructions.

Tips for next year

Never direct your refund to an account that belongs to a relative, friend, or tax return preparer.

If you’re using a family financial account, you may want to consider alternatives or be aware that you will receive a paper refund if your refund is the fourth one being sent to the account or to a pre-paid debit card.

Need Help?