Information For...

For you and your family
Individuals abroad and more
EINs and other information

Filing For Individuals

Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents
Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate


Request for Transcript of Tax Returns
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Installment Agreement Request
Wage and Tax Statement

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding Your CP561A Notice

Important Information about your child’s Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN) - Your child’s ATIN expires in 3 months 

What you need to do

  • If you received a social security number (SSN) for the child, complete the response form with the SSN and fax or mail it using the information provided on the form, or;
  • You can re-apply for a one year extension of this ATIN by completing the response form at the end of the CP561A notice.

You may want to...

  • If you have additional questions, call the IRS at 737-800-5511 or 267-941-1000 (for international calls).

Answers to Common Questions

What can I do if I don’t have a social security number (SSN) for my adoptive child?
You may request an extension before your assigned ATIN expires by completing the response form with the CP561A notice. The extension is only valid for one additional year.

Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number

Printable samples of this notice (.pdf)

How to get help