What this notice is about
We received your Form 8862, Information to Claim Certain Refundable Credits After Disallowance, and you have successfully shown your eligibility for certain credits claimed on your tax return.
What you need to do
- You don’t need to take further action.
- Look for your refund within 6 weeks if you don’t owe other tax or debts we are required to collect.
You may want to
Keep a copy of this notice for your records.
Answers to common questions
What if I don't receive my refund within 6 weeks?
You can call us at the toll-free telephone number listed in the top right corner of your notice.
Which credits does the notice apply to?
The notice applies only to certain credits you claimed for the notice year and for which you completed Form 8862 because we denied the credits in an audit of your tax return for a previous year. Credits may include Earned Income Tax Credit, American Opportunity Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit or Credit for Other Dependents.
Tips for next year
Consider filing your taxes electronically. You may be able to file for free. Filing online can help you to avoid mistakes, and find credits and deductions you might qualify for. Learn more about e-file.
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF).
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.