What These Letters Are About
We are addressing, or need more information about, your business, estate, or trust entity.
What You Should Know
Failure to timely respond or update the entity information will delay processing of returns filed, issuance of refunds or applying overpayments to next year’s estimated tax, if applicable.
What you need to do if you received a Letter 5263C or Letter 6042C
If you were or are affiliated with the entity:
- Answer all the questions in the letter and provide the information requested within 30 days from the date of the letter.
- If the letter is for an estate, send a copy of the deceased individual’s death certificate with your reply.
- If the letter is for a trust, send a copy of the notarized trust or Certificate of Trust document with your reply.
If you’re not affiliated with the entity, or you’re not the responsible party:
- Select the correct statement on the letter indicating no affiliation.
- Sign and date the declaration statement at the bottom of the letter.
- Return the letter to us within 30 days from the date of the letter.
If the responsible party we have on file for the entity has changed, submit Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party-Business (PDF).
What you need to do if you received Letter 6217C
- If we confirmed we received your response to Letter 5263C or Letter 6042C, you do not need to take any action. We’ll contact you within 180 days if we have questions.
- If we requested more information about your business, estate, or trust, provide the information requested in the timeframe provided on the letter.
- If we notified you that the employer identification number (EIN) information on file is not correct, submit Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party-Business.
Frequently Asked Questions
What will happen after I provide my response?
We’ll contact you within 180 days if we have questions. If not, no action is required. It will take about 9 weeks to make a determination and process any returns once we’ve reviewed your response.