Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Rollover to a Roth IRA or a Designated Roth Account

Are you eligible to receive a distribution from your 401(k), 403(b) or governmental 457(b) retirement plan?

You can roll over eligible rollover distributions from these plans to a Roth IRA or to a designated Roth account in the same plan (if the plan allows rollovers to designated Roth accounts).

You may want to note the differences between Roth IRAs and designated Roth accounts before you decide which type of account to choose. For example, when you reach age 70 1/2, you may have to take required minimum distributions from designated Roth accounts, but not from Roth IRAs.

Roth IRAs and designated Roth accounts only accept rollovers of money that has already been taxed. You will likely have to pay income tax on the previously untaxed portion of the distribution that you rollover to a designated Roth account or a Roth IRA.

Withdrawals from a Roth IRA or designated Roth account, including earnings, will be tax-free if you:

  • have held the account for at least 5 years, and
  • are:
    • age 59½ or older;
    • disabled; or
    • deceased.

In addition, you can get a tax-free distribution after 5 years from a Roth IRA of up to $10,000 to buy your first home.