General Guidance Question


Question: How do I submit a name change request?

Answer: Name change requests can be submitted online through your online PTIN account or in writing along with a copy of documentation supporting the change. (Acceptable documents are listed below.) 

NOTE: Changing the name on your PTIN account will not change your name on other IRS accounts (i.e. EFIN, EIN, EA). You will need to contact the other appropriate business unit for name changes on other accounts.

To submit a request online, go to the main menu and select the ‘Edit Account Information’ tile. In the Account Actions section select “Name Change Request”. Follow the prompts to enter the name change and upload the required supporting documents. You will be prompted to review the requested change and documents. You must attest to the accuracy of the information to complete your online submission.

If you prefer to send a written request, it must include the following information along with the required supporting documents.

  • Preparer's name and PTIN
  • Clear statement of action needed
  • Signed and dated by the preparer 

Submit by mail to:

IRS Tax Pro PTIN Processing Center
PO Box 380638
San Antonio, TX 78268

We cannot accept faxes or make a change to your name over the phone. Please allow 6 weeks for processing of a written or online request.

We will accept the following documents:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Court ordered legal name change
  • Certificate of naturalization
  • Certificate of citizenship
  • Social Security card
  • Government issued photo identification

Return to Return Preparer Program FAQs                                     Access Online PTIN System