You can apply for a 10-digit signature PIN and become an IRS Authorized Signer. You would use the PIN to electronically sign your employment tax returns, using IRS-approved software.
You must be:
- Sole Proprietor for a sole proprietorship
- Partner with 5% or more interest in a partnership or person authorized to act in legal and or tax matters
- President, Vice President, Secretary or Treasurer of a corporation
- Other: The Principal for an entity that is not a sole proprietorship, partnership, or corporation must be an individual authorized to act in legal and or tax matters
As an IRS Authorized Signer, you are stating that you are a person or principal who can legally bind the entity. You are authorized to sign and act in tax matters on behalf of the business identified on your application.
Steps to Apply and Use Your PIN:
- Complete the on-line signature PIN registration process, which is in your software package.
- Once approved, IRS will send you a 10-digit PIN.
- You will receive the PIN in a sealed and uncompromised envelope. Sign the statement of receipt and return it to the address shown on the letter within 10 business days from the date of the letter.
- Use the designated PIN to sign your employment tax returns electronically. This authenticates that you are the IRS Authorized Signer when the returns are submitted electronically.
When to Contact the Help Desk
- You know or suspect your PIN was compromised.
- The name of the authorized signer, EIN or name of the business has changed.
- Change of address
- Deactivate your PIN
Contact the e-help Desk at 1-866-255-0654 between Monday – Friday 6:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. Central Time.
You are the only authorized signer for your own employment tax returns. You cannot electronically send returns directly to the IRS. You can only send returns by a third-party Transmitter using approved software. Select the company you would like to use to file your employment tax forms electronically.
Note: Electronic Return Originators must use Form 8879-EMP, IRS e-file Signature Authorization for Forms 940, 940 (PR), 941, 941 (PR), 941-SS, 943, 943 (PR), 944, and 945 to electronically sign employment tax returns.