Applying for Tax Exempt Status
Information about how to apply for IRS recognition of tax-exempt status
Annual Reporting & Filing
990-series forms, requirements and filing tips
Revoked? Reinstated? Learn More
Information about the automatic revocation process and how to be reinstated
EO Select Check
Search for a tax-exempt's status
How to Stay Exempt
Resources for tax-exempt nonprofit organizations
Tax basics for exempt organizations
Educational Resources and Guidance
Publications, forms, official guidance and other materials
General information and how to contact us
- Site map of content on the Charities and Nonprofits Pages of IRS.gov designed to make it easier for users to navigate Exempt Organization resources.
- Search for a tax-exempt's status
- Information about workshops and conferences for exempt organizations.
- Explaining process in IRS audits of tax-exempt organizations
- The Exempt Organizations Update is a free IRS e-mail service for tax professionals and representatives of tax-exempt organizations.
- Webinars for Tax Exempt & Government Entities
- Links to helpful information about points of intersection between tax-exempt organizations and the IRS, including access to explanatory information and forms that an organization may need to file with the IRS.
- Request an experienced IRS agent for speeches or panel discussions.
- The division serves employee benefit plans and tax-exempt organizations such as nonprofit charities and governmental entities.
- Tax Exempt and Government Entities Issue Snapshots
- TE/GE FY 2018 Work Plan
- Special Edition Tax Tip 2017-13, Sept. 14, 2017
- IR-2017-137, Aug. 29, 2017 - The Internal Revenue Service today issued a warning about possible fake charity scams emerging due to Hurricane Harvey and encouraged taxpayers to seek out recognized charitable groups for their donations.
- Exempt Organizations Form 1023-EZ Approvals
IRS Releases Updated Form 990-EZ New Options to Help Exempt Organizations Avoid Errors File a More Accurate ReturnIR-2017-14, January 31, 2017 -- The IRS announced today the release of an updated Form 990-EZ, Short Form Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax, that will help tax-exempt organizations avoid common mistakes when filing their annual return.
- TE/GE Announces New Information Document Request Management Process
- Update Report of Form 1023-EZ, Streamlined Application for Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(c)(3).
- The Form 8976 Electronic Notice Filing System allows organizations to complete the registration/certification process, keeps account information current and enables organizations to receive secure, digital communications from the IRS.
- Beginning July 1, 2016, the user fee to process the Form 1023-EZ will decrease from $400 to $275.
- Announcement 2016-17 provides notice that the IRS will not impose penalties under section 6721 or 6722 on eligible educational institutions with respect to Forms 1098-T, Tuition Statement, required to be filed and furnished for the 2016 calendar year under section 6050S if the institution reports the aggregate amount billed for qualified tuition and related expenses on Form 1098-T instead of the aggregate amount of payments received as required by section 212 of the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act of 2015 (Public Law 114-113 (129 Stat. 2242 (2015)).
- Form 990-N submission website on IRS.gov is now open
- Changes to the EO Determinations Process: Rejecting Incomplete Applications
- The IRS is outlining new actions and next steps to fix problems uncovered with the IRS’ review of tax-exempt applications and improve the wider processes and operations in place at the IRS.