Once you have followed the steps outlined on this page, you will need to determine what type of tax-exempt status you want.
- Form 8976, Notice of Intent to Operate Under Section 501(c)(4)
- Form 1024-A
- Instructions for Form 1024-A
- Exempt Organizations Form 1023-EZ Approvals
- Publication 4220, Applying for 501(c)(3) Status
- Publication 557, Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization
- Group exemptions
- FAQs - Applying for tax exemption
- FAQs - Form 1023
- Top ten tips to shorten the tax-exempt application process
- Sample application questions
- Can the IRS expedite my application?
- Power of attorney - appointing someone to represent you
- Life cycle of an exempt organization
- Federal tax obligations of nonprofit corporations