Exempt Organizations General Issues: Obtaining Information about Organizations from IRS


What information can I receive about an exempt organization from the IRS?

In general, someone contacting the IRS may obtain only information about an exempt organization that is generally available to the public, unless an organization has submitted Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative, or Form 8821, Tax Information Authorization. Only the following individuals may receive account specific information about an organization: an appointee or representative designated in a Form 8821 or Form 2848, a person designated by resolution of the organization's board of directors, or an officer or employee legally authorized to act on the organization's behalf.

Use Form 4506-A to obtain publicly available information about an exempt organization from the IRS.  You may also purchase copies of scanned exempt organizations returns from the IRS.