Is the long-term disability I am receiving considered taxable?

You must report as income any amount you receive for your disability through an accident or health insurance plan paid for by your employer:

  • If both you and your employer have paid the premiums for the plan, only the amount you receive for your disability that's due to your employer's payments is reported as income.
  • If you pay the entire cost of a health or accident insurance plan, don't include any amounts you receive for your disability as income on your tax return.
  • If you pay the premiums of a health or accident insurance plan through a cafeteria plan, and you didn't include the amount of the premium as taxable income to you, the premiums are considered paid by your employer, and the disability benefits are fully taxable.
  • If the amounts are taxable, you can submit a Form W-4S, Request for Federal Income Tax Withholding From Sick Pay to the insurance company or make estimated tax payments by filing Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals.

Amounts you receive from your employer while you're sick or injured are part of your salary or wages.

You can generally exclude from income payments you receive from qualified long-term care insurance contracts as reimbursement of medical expenses received for personal injury or sickness under an accident and health insurance contract. Also, you can exclude from income certain payments received under a life insurance contract on the life of a terminally or chronically ill individual (accelerated death benefits). Refer to Publication 907, Tax Highlights for Persons with Disabilities.

You may be able to deduct your out-of-pocket expenses for medical care above any reimbursements, if you're eligible to itemize your deductions. You'll need to review Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses and Can I Deduct My Medical and Dental Expenses?

For more information, refer to Publication 907.