I pay for some of my parent’s medical expenses. May I deduct these expenses on my return?

Yes, if you itemize your deductions and your parent was your dependent either at the time the medical services were provided or at the time you paid the expenses, you may claim a deduction for the portion of their expenses that you paid during the taxable year, not compensated for by insurance or otherwise.

Your medical expense deduction is limited to the amount of medical expenses that exceeds 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.

You can include medical expenses you paid for an individual that would have been your dependent except if:

  • He or she received gross income of $4,700 or more in 2023,
  • He or she filed a joint return for the year, or
  • You, or your spouse if filing jointly, are properly claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

Deduct the medical expenses on Schedule A (Form 1040), Itemized Deductions.