Is it possible to find out if my federal tax refund check was cashed?

Yes, if you need to know whether your federal tax refund check was cashed, you can initiate a refund trace by using one of the following methods:

  • Call us at 800-829-1954 (toll-free) and either use the automated system or speak with a representative.
  • If you filed a married filing jointly return, you can't initiate a trace using the automated systems. The IRS will issue you a Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund, to get the process started or you can download the form.

If you're trying to obtain a photocopy of your refund check because of a dispute over the proceeds, call us at 800-829-1954 to request assistance.

By law, the IRS can't disclose any information to you about someone else’s refund. For example, the IRS can't discuss with you a check issued to another taxpayer.

If you lost your refund check, see I lost my refund check. How do I get a new one?