Claiming the Child Tax Credit for Taxpayers Who Are Eligible to File Form 4029 for Tax Year 2021


Notice: Historical Content

This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current law, policies or procedures.

If you are eligible to file, or file, Form 4029 (Application for Exemption From Social Security and Medicare Taxes and Waiver of Benefits), and you want to claim only the nonrefundable portion of the child tax credit, and not the refundable portion of the child tax credit, complete Schedule 8812 (Form 1040) as follows:

  • Complete Part I-A, lines 1 through 13, but do not check either box on line 13.
  • In the empty space to the right of line 13, write "Form 4029" to explain why you didn't check either box on line 13.
  • Complete Part I-C.
  • In Part II-A, on line 18a, enter $0.
  • In Part II-B, on line 23, enter $0.
  • Enter the amount from Part I-C, line 15g on Form 1040 or 1040-SR, line 19.

If you received advance child tax credit payments for 2021, and want to return those payments, see 2021 Child Tax Credit and Advance Child Tax Credit Payments — Topic N: Returning a Payment for how to return the payments.