Update on Filing Form 8830 per Notice 2021-47 for tax years beginning in 2021


Notice: Historical Content

This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current law, policies or procedures.
  • For tax years beginning in 2021, the enhanced oil recovery credit is available at the full 15% credit rate.
  • To claim the credit for tax years beginning in 2021 only, partnerships and S corporations must file Form 8830. We plan to release a new revision of Form 8830 in March for use with 2021 tax year returns. Until then, filers may use the 2018 Form 8830 PDF by crossing out the year 2018 at the top of the form and writing-in the year 2021, then using 15% as the credit rate on line 2. All   other taxpayers aren't required to complete or file Form 8830 if their only source of the credit is from a partnership or S corporation. Instead, they can report the credit directly on Form 3800, General Business Credit, Part III, line 1t.
  • The credit is completely phased out for tax years beginning in 2019 and 2020. See Notice 2021-47 for full guidance.