IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Child and Dependent Care Credit & Flexible Benefit Plans

Question: My babysitter refused to provide me with her social security number. Can I still claim the amount I paid her for childcare while I worked? If so, how do I claim these childcare expenses on my tax return?


Yes, if you meet the other requirements to claim the child and dependent care credit but are missing the social security number or other taxpayer identifying number of your provider, you can still claim the credit by demonstrating due diligence in attempting to secure this information.

  • Provide whatever information you have available for your provider (such as name and address) on Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses.
  • Write "See Attached Statement" in the columns requesting the missing information. Explain on the attached statement that you requested the provider’s identifying number, but the provider did not give it to you. This statement supports a claim of the use of due diligence in trying to secure the identifying information.

Additional Information:

Category: Childcare Credit, Other Credits
Subcategory: Child and Dependent Care Credit & Flexible Benefit Plans

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224