IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Education Credits

Question: Can I claim an education credit for higher education expenses paid by a government-subsidized loan?


Yes, higher education expenses paid with the proceeds of a government-subsidized loan may qualify for the credit if you must repay the loan. Additionally, you claim the credit in the year in which you pay the expenses, not in the year in which you repay the loan.

Note: You can't claim the American opportunity credit on either an original or an amended return if either you or the student didn't have a taxpayer identification number by the due date of your return (including extensions), even if you or the student later gets one of those numbers. However, this requirement doesn't apply to any return (other than an amendment to any return) for any taxable year which includes December 18, 2015 if such return is filed on or before the due date of the return.

Additional Information:

Category: Childcare Credit, Other Credits
Subcategory: Education Credits

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224