IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Filing Status

Question: If I lived apart from my spouse from July 10 to December 31 but wasn't divorced or legally separated at the end of the year, can I file as head of household? Will my filing status allow me to claim a credit for childcare expenses and the earned income tax credit if I have a qualifying child?


No, you can't file as head of household because you weren't considered unmarried at the end of the tax year. You're considered unmarried at the end of a tax year only if you're legally separated or your spouse isn't a member of your household for the last 6 months of the tax year.

Your filing status for the year will be either married filing separately or married filing jointly.

  • If you use the married filing separately filing status, you can't claim the earned income tax credit or the credit for childcare expenses.
  • You may be eligible to claim these credits if you decide to file a joint return with your spouse.

See What is My Filing Status? and Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information, for information about filing status.

Additional Information:

Category: Filing Requirements, Status, Dependents, Exemptions
Subcategory: Filing Status

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224