IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

1099-DIV Dividend Income

Question: I received dividends from my credit union. How do I report this income?


Certain distributions commonly referred to as dividends actually should be reported as interest, including "dividends" on deposits or share accounts in cooperative banks, credit unions, domestic savings and loan associations, and mutual savings banks.

Interest income can be reported on Form 1040, Form 1040A, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, or Form 1040EZ, Income Tax Return for Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents.

If your taxable interest income is more than $1,500, you must also include that income on Schedule B (Form 1040A or 1040), Interest and Ordinary Dividends, and attach it to your tax return. You cannot file Form 1040EZ if your interest income is more than $1,500.

Additional Information:

Category: Interest, Dividends, Other Types of Income
Subcategory: 1099-DIV Dividend Income

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224