IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Gifts & Inheritances

Question: My mother transferred to me the title of her home. Do I need to report this transaction to the IRS?


No, but your mother may be required to report this transaction to the IRS as a taxable gift to you. Generally, a taxable gift is any property transferred for less than adequate and full consideration.

Generally, an individual must file a gift tax return (Form 709, United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return) for the year of the gift, if any of the following apply:

  • The individual gave gifts to at least one person (other than his or her spouse) that are more than the annual exclusion amount for the year. The annual exclusion amount for 2016 is $14,000.
  • The individual and his or her spouse are splitting a gift.
  • The individual gave someone (other than his or her spouse) a gift of a future interest that the donee cannot actually possess, enjoy, or receive income from until some time in the future.
  • The individual gave his or her spouse an interest in property that will end by some future event.

Note: If any of the above conditions apply, that individual must file a Form 709 even if a gift tax is not payable. See the Instructions for Form 709 and Publication 559, Survivors, Executors, and Administrators, for additional information on gifts.

Category: Interest, Dividends, Other Types of Income
Subcategory: Gifts & Inheritances

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224