IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

For Caregivers

Question: I pay for some of my parent’s medical expenses. May I deduct these expenses on my return?


If you can claim your parent as a dependent, you also may be able to claim a deduction for the portion of your parent’s medical or dental expenses that you paid. You must reduce your total deduction for medical and dental expenses by 10 percent of your adjusted gross income. There is a temporary exemption from January 1, 2013, to December 31, 2016, for individuals age 65 and older and their spouses who can reduce their medical and dental expenses by 7.5 percent. See Medical and Dental Expenses in Chapter 21 of Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax for Individuals, for additional information.

Additional Information:

Category: IRS Procedures
Subcategory: For Caregivers

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224