Should I File an Amended Return?


ITA Home

After filing your original return, you may determine that you made an error or omitted something from your return. Although the IRS often finds and corrects errors during processing, there are certain situations in which you may need to file an amended return to correct an error or make other changes to your return.

This interview will help you determine if you should file an amended return to correct an error or make other changes to your return.

Information You'll Need:

  • Reason for making a change to a previously filed federal income tax return

Note: Use this tax tool only if you're amending one of the following forms: Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, Form 1040-A, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, Form 1040-SR, U.S. Tax Return for Seniors, Form 1040-EZ, Income Tax Return for Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents, Form 1040-NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return, or Form 1040-NR-EZ, U.S. Income Tax Return for Certain Nonresident Aliens With No Dependents.

Please note that this topic doesn’t include the exceptions to filing a 2020 amended return when excluding unemployment compensation. Until the topic is updated, see IRS updates FAQs for 2020 Unemployment Compensation Exclusion.


Conclusions are based on information provided by you in response to the questions you answered. Answers do not constitute written advice in response to a specific written request of the taxpayer within the meaning of section 6404(f) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Estimated Completion Time: 5 minutes

Please Note: After 15 minutes of inactivity, you'll be forced to start over.

Caution: Using the "Back" button within the ITA tool could cause an application error.