IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Tax Trails - Amended Returns

After filing your return, you may realize you made an error or omitted something from your return. The IRS often finds and corrects errors during the processing of returns. However, there are certain situations in which you may need to file an amended return if you wish to correct an error or make other changes to your return.

Note:  Do not use this tax trail if you are amending a form other than Form 1040, Form 1040A, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, Form 1040EZ, Income Tax Return for Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents, Form 1040NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return, or Form 1040NR-EZ, U.S. Income Tax Return for Certain Nonresident Aliens With No Dependents.

You can check the status of your Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, using the Where's My Amended Return? (WMAR) online tool or the toll-free telephone number 866-464-2050 three weeks after you file your amended return. Both tools are available in English and Spanish and track the status of amended returns for the current year and three prior years.

You must enter your taxpayer identification number (usually your social security number), date of birth, and ZIP code in either tool to prove your identity. Once you authenticate, you can view the status of your amended return across three processing stages: Received, Adjusted, and Completed.

The WMAR online tool includes an illustrated graphic that visually communicates where your amended return resides within the processing stages. As a reminder, amended returns take up to 16 weeks to process and up to three weeks from the date you mailed it to show up in our system. There’s no need to call the IRS unless the tool specifically tells you to do so.

Proceed     Main Menu

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 01-Jan-2016