Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding Your 5071C Letter

We received a federal income tax return with your name and taxpayer identification number but we must verify your identity to process it accurately. The contact information below is only for taxpayers who received Letter 5071C.

What you need to do

How to contact us online:

  • Use our secure Identity Verification Service. It’s quick and secure.
  • You can opt-out of the Identity Verification Service at any time and call the toll-free number provided in the 5071C letter.
  • If you answer a question incorrectly, you can call the toll-free number in the 5071C letter.

How to contact us by phone:

  • Call the toll-free IRS Identity Verification telephone number in the 5071C letter.
  • Have a copy of the 5071C letter you received, a copy of your prior year tax return (if you filed one) and your most recently filed tax return (if you filed one), as well as any supporting documentation for each year's return (such as Forms W-2, 1099, 1040 Schedule C, or 1040 Schedule F) when you call.

We’ll ask you a series of questions about your identity and tax return history.

If we are unable to verify your identity over the phone or online, we may ask you to schedule an appointment at your local IRS office to verify your identity in person.

The toll-free number is for identity verification only. No other tax-related information, including refund status, is available.