What this letter is about
Verifying your identity to process a federal income tax return filed with your name and taxpayer identification number.
What you need to do
If you filed a tax return or didn't file a tax return
Contact us online or by phone to verify your identity and tax return information.
- Use our secure Identity Verification Service. It’s quick, secure, and available 24 hours a day.
- Have a copy of the 5071C letter you received and a copy of the tax return for the tax year shown in the letter.
Call the toll-free IRS Identity Verification telephone number in the 5071C letter.
Have a copy of the following:
- The 5071C letter
- The tax return referenced in the letter (Form 1040, 1040-A, 1040-EZ, 1040-PR, 1040-NR, 1040-SR, etc.). Note: A Form W-2, Form 1099 is not a tax return.
- A previous year’s income tax return, other than the year in the letter (Form 1040, 1040-A, 1040-EZ, 1040-PR, 1040-NR, 1040-SR, etc.). Note: A Form W-2, Form 1099 is not a tax return.
- Supporting documents that you filed with each year’s tax return. (Form W-2, Form 1099, Schedule C of F, etc.).
If we can’t verify your identity over the phone or online, we may ask you to schedule an appointment at your local IRS office to verify your identity in person.
Note: Authorized third parties may assist taxpayers, but the taxpayer must be present on the phone or in-person.
If we don’t hear from you, we may not be able to process your return, issue refunds, or apply overpayments to next year’s estimated tax.
The toll-free number IRS Identity Verification number is for identity verification only. No other tax-related information, including refund status, is available.
You can find more information in Publication 5027, Identity Theft Information for Taxpayers .
Frequently asked questions
What happens after I verify online or after I call?
We’ll continue processing your return. It will take approximately nine weeks to process.