Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding Your CP107 Notice

We made changes to your tax return because we found a miscalculation. As a result of these changes, your balance due also changed.

What you need to do

  • Read the notice carefully
  • Compare the figures on the notice with your tax return.
  • Contact us within 60 days of the date of your notice if you disagree with the changes we made. Please have your account information available when you call.
  • Correct the copy of your tax return you kept for your records if you agree with our changes. Keep this notice for your records.
  • Pay the amount you owe by the payment due date on the notice.
  • Contact us to make payment arrangements if you can’t pay the full amount you owe. You can also read about payment options here.

You may want to

Download a copy of Instructions for Form 1042. If you need additional forms or publications, you can find them here, or you can call 1-800-TAX-FORM to request them by mail.

Answers to Common Questions

Does interest accrue on the money I owe?

Yes. Interest begins to accrue on the unpaid deposit amount from the day the deposit was due until the day we receive the deposit in full. Interest will begin to accrue on the penalty if you don’t pay the penalty amount within 10 days of the date of the notice.

Will I receive more than one failure-to-deposit penalty?

Maybe. When an employer fails to make a proper tax deposit, even if the failure is due to an error, we assess a 10% failure-to-deposit penalty. You may or may not have received notice of the 10% penalty before receiving this notice. If you think the penalty is an error or you believe you have reasonable cause for not making the proper tax deposit, you can ask us to remove the penalty. The penalty notice will explain your right to appeal. If you pay the unpaid tax (deposit) by the payment due date on your notice, we won’t assess any additional penalties on the amount you owe. If you don’t pay the total tax due by the notice due date, we will assess an additional 5% failure-to-pay penalty on top of the 10% failure-to-deposit penalty.

Tips for next year

  • Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes. You can find information about filing options here.
  • Review your return for accuracy prior to mailing it to us.

Tax publications you may find useful

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help