Understanding Your CP125 Notice
We made changes to your tax return because we found a miscalculation. As a result of these changes, you have a balance due of less than $1.
What you need to do
- Read the notice carefully.
- Compare the figures on the notice with your tax return.
- Contact us within 30 days of the date of your notice if you disagree with the changes we made.
- Correct the copy of your tax return you kept for your records if you agree with our changes.
- You don’t have to pay if you owe less than $1.
You may want to
- Download copies of the following materials (if they weren’t included with your notice).
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer
- Notice 746, Information About Your Notice, Penalty and Interest
- Instructions for Form 2290, for a Form 2290 filing
- Instructions for Form 706, for a Form 706 filing
- Instructions for Form 709, for a Form 709 filing
- Form 730, Monthly Tax Return for Wagers, for general information on your Form 730 filing
- Form 11-C, Occupational Tax and Registration Return for Wagering, for general information on your Form 11-C filing
- Visit us at Forms & Pubs to download other tax forms and publications you need.
- Call 1-800-TAX-FORM to request forms and publications by mail.
Answers to Common Questions
How can I find out what caused my tax return to change?
Call us at the toll-free number on your notice for specific information about your tax return.
What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?
If you disagree, call us at the toll-free number on your notice or write to us at the address on the contact stub within 30 days of the date of the notice. We can reverse the change to your account if your response provides additional information that justifies a reversal. If you agree with the change, you don’t need to do anything; however, you should update your records.
Tips for next year
- Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes. You can find information about filing options here.
- Review your return for accuracy before mailing it to us.