Understanding your CP125 notice


What this notice is about

We made changes to your tax return because we found a miscalculation. As a result of these changes, you have a balance due of less than $1.

What you need to do

  • Read the notice carefully.
  • Compare the figures on the notice with your tax return.
  • Contact us within 30 days of the date of your notice if you disagree with the changes we made.
  • Correct the copy of your tax return you kept for your records if you agree with our changes.
  • You don’t have to pay if you owe less than $1.

You may want to

Frequently asked questions

How can I find out what caused my tax return to change?

Call us at the toll-free number on your notice for specific information about your tax return.

What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?

If you disagree, call us at the toll-free number on your notice or write to us at the address on the contact stub within 30 days of the date of the notice. We can reverse the change to your account if your response provides additional information that justifies a reversal. If you agree with the change, you don’t need to do anything; however, you should update your records.

Tips for next year

  • Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes.
  • Review your return for accuracy before mailing it to us.

Helpful information

Need help?