Understanding Your CP127 Notice

What this notice is about

We made changes to your Form 1042, Annual Withholding Tax Return for U.S. Source Income of Foreign Persons, because we found a miscalculation. Our changes don’t affect the amount of tax you owed.

What you need to do

  • Read the notice carefully.
  • Compare the figures on the notice with your tax return.
  • Contact us within 10 days of the date of the notice if you disagree with the changes we made. Please have your account information available when you call.
  • Correct the copy of your tax return that you kept for your records if you agree with our changes. Keep this notice for your records.

You may want to

Download a copy of Instructions (PDF) for Form 1042 (PDF). You can download additional forms or publications, or you can call 1-800-TAX-FORM to request them by mail.

Answers to common questions

What should I do if I have been charged a penalty and I don’t agree?

If we charged a penalty and you would like us to consider removing it, you must send us a written request. When you write, identify the penalty you would like us to reconsider and explain the reasons why we should remove it.

Tips for next year

  • Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes. Learn more about filing options.
  • Review your return for accuracy before mailing it to us.


Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

Need Help?

  • You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.