Understanding your CP130 Notice

Your tax return filing requirements may have changed: You may no longer need to pay the Alternative Minimum Tax.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully. It may also suggest additional steps for you to take depending on whether you qualify for the exemption for the Alternative Minimum Tax.

You may want to...

Answers to Common Questions

I completed an amended tax return (Form 1120-X). Do I need to mail it to a specific address?
Write "AMT-EXEMPT" on the top of your Form 1120-X and send it to the same IRS address where you mailed your original tax return.

We are an estate/trust, but the notice only mentions corporations. Are we eligible for the exemption for the Alternative Minimum Tax?
No. Estates/trusts are not corporations and as such are not exempt from the AMT.

How does the Recovery and Reinvestment Tax Act of 2009 affect the Alternative Minimum Tax rules for corporations/trusts/estates?
The Act did not have any affect on the AMT rules for corporations/trust/estates.

I don’t handle tax issues for my corporation. How can I request that you send all future tax notices directly to our accountant?
Complete a Form 8822, Change of Address, and send it to the address shown on the form.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

Need Help?

  • You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.