What this notice is about
This notice tells you a discrepancy exists between the amounts of federal tax deposits credited to your account from the amount reported on your tax return. Therefore, you're due a refund.
What you need to do
- Make sure all payments listed in the notice are for the correct account and no payments are missing.
- If our information is incorrect, call us at the number on page 1 of this notice.
- You can expect to receive your refund in the next 4 to 6 weeks.
Frequently asked questions
Why did I receive this notice?
You received this notice because a discrepancy exists between the amounts of federal tax deposits credited to your account from the amount reported on your tax return and as a result, you’re due a refund.
What should I do if I believe payments were misapplied?
Call us at the toll-free number listed in the top right corner of your notice or mail us copies of your notice and proof of payment to the address on the notice.
What if I am due a refund and I haven't received it within 4-6 weeks?
If it has been more than 6 weeks and you haven’t received your refund, call us at the toll free number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer (PDF)
- Publication 15 (Circular E), Employer's Tax Guide (PDF)
- Publication 594, The IRS Collection Process (PDF)
- Notice 746, Information About Your Notice, Penalty and Interest (PDF)
- Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request (PDF)
- Full list of tax forms and instructions