IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding Your CP148A Notice

  • When we change a business address in our records, we send a CP 148A to the new address.
  • We issued a notice of confirmation of an address change to both the employer's former and new address.

What you need to do

You may want to

  • Keep the notice for your permanent records.
  • Submit a Form 8822-B when you need to update your address.

Answers to Common Questions

Why did the IRS change my address?

We update an address when we receive:

  • Form 8822-B
  • Employment tax return with an address different from what's on our records.
  • Any address variation from the address of record for the business entity, e.g. interchanging "Street" for "St."
Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 09-Jul-2016

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)



How to get help

  • Call the 1-800, 1-866 or 1-888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
  • Authorize someone (e.g., accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.