Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding Your CP165 Notice

We sent you this notice because your bank didn’t honor your payment. As a result, we charged you a penalty.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully ― it explains your due date, amount due, and payment options.
  • Contact us if you disagree.

You may want to

Answers to Common Questions

What happens if I can't pay the full amount I owe now?
See if you may be able to set up a payment plan through our Online Payment Agreement Application or call us at the toll free number on the top right corner of your notice.

What should I do if I disagree with the notice?
Call us at the toll free number on the top right corner of your notice. Have your paperwork (such as cancelled checks, amended return, etc.) ready when you call.

Am I charged interest on the money I owe?
Not if you pay the full amount you owe by the notice payment due date. However, interest adds up on the unpaid amount after that date.

Will I receive a penalty if I can't pay the full amount?
Yes, you could receive a late payment penalty. You can call us at the number on your notice if you can't pay the full amount by your notice payment due date because of financial problems. We may be able to remove the penalty based on your situation.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help