Understanding Your CP183 Notice
We received your Form 720, Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return; however we need additional information. Your return doesn’t show a breakdown of the type of tax (coal, gas, oil, etc.) and the amount applied to each for the tax period shown on your notice.
What you must do
- Complete the information requested on the notice stub.
- Return the stub in the envelope enclosed with the notice.
- Make sure the IRS address shows through the window of the envelope.
If we don’t hear from you within 30 days from the date of this notice, your account will reflect incomplete information.we’ll process your return without the information. This could result in your account having additional penalties and interest assessed.
You may want to
Review Form 720 (.pdf):
- A description of the difference types of excise taxes.
- The proper IRS No. assigned for each type of excise tax. The IRS No. is listed on the right and left columns of the form.
Tips for next year
Review Form 720, prior to filing, to ensure the tax for each type of excise tax being reported is listed on the form.