Understanding your CP2005 Notice


What this notice is about

We accepted the information you sent us. We're not going to change your tax return. We've closed our review of it.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully.
  • You don't have to do anything.
  • You don't have to answer the notice.
  • If you have a payment plan for another IRS debt, keep making your payments.

You may want to

  • Keep a copy of your notice for your files.
  • Contact us if you don't get a refund for any payment you made on the proposed changes we now aren't going to make.
  • Contact us by mail or by calling the toll free number on your notice with any questions we haven't answered below.

Frequently asked questions

Why did it take you so long to contact me about this matter?

Our computer systems match the information you report on your tax return with information reported by employers, banks, businesses, and others. This matching takes several months to complete.

What if I sent you a payment based on the changes you proposed?

You'll receive a refund check in 4 to 6 weeks as long as you owe no taxes or other debts we have to collect.

What if I petitioned the U.S. Tax Court?

Our Office of Chief Counsel will contact you about closing your petition.

What should I do if you close my case without changing my account and I think you closed it in error?

Please call the toll free number on your notice.

What should I do if I receive another notice or letter?

If the notice or letter is about this matter, pay no attention to it. If it's about another matter, read it carefully and follow its instructions.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

You can avoid future mistakes by:

  • keeping accurate and full records
  • waiting until you get all of your income statements to file your tax return
  • checking the records you get from your employer, mortgage company, bank, or other sources of income (W-2s, 1098s, 1099s, etc.) to make sure they're correct
  • including all the income you received during the year on your tax return
  • following the instructions for your tax return on how to report income, expenses and deductions
  • filing an amended tax return if you receive any additional information after you've filed your return

Need help?