Understanding Your CP2006 Notice


What this notice is about

We received your information. We'll look at it and let you know what we're going to do.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully.
  • You don't have to do anything.
  • You don't have to answer the notice.
  • If you have a payment plan for another IRS debt, keep making your payments.

You may want to

  • Fill out and send us a Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of RepresentativePDF to allow someone (such as an accountant) to contact us on your behalf.
  • Keep a copy of your notice for your files.
  • Contact us by mail or by calling the toll-free number on your notice with any questions we haven't answered below.

Frequently asked questions

Why did it take you so long to contact me about this matter?

Our computer systems match the information you report on your tax return with information reported by employers, banks, businesses, and others. This matching takes several months to complete.

I got a deficiency notice. It says I have 90 days to petition the U.S. Tax Court. Does this notice give me more time?

No, you still only have 90 days.

The deficiency notice I got says I have 150 days to petition the U.S. Tax Court. Why doesn't it say 90 days?

You have 150 days for deficiency notices sent outside the U.S. The new notice you just received does not extend the 150 days.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Need help?