Understanding Your CP209 Notice

CP 209 generates when two employer identification numbers (EINs) are consolidated in our records.

What you need to do

  • Continue using the EIN designated as your valid EIN.
  • Include a copy of your CP209 when you respond to any IRS notices/letters.
  • Enter your name exactly as shown above on all filings.

You may want to...

  • Ensure the valid EIN is entered correctly on all filings with the IRS

Answers to Common Questions

Have the payments I made and returns I filed under the incorrect EIN been moved to the valid EIN?

Yes, your valid EIN contains the history of the erroneously assigned EIN.

Tips for next year

  • Ensure your EIN is entered correctly on all filings with the IRS.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

Need Help?

  • You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.