CP 209 generates when two employer identification numbers (EINs) are consolidated in our records.
What you need to do
- Continue using the EIN designated as your valid EIN.
- Include a copy of your CP209 when you respond to any IRS notices/letters.
- Enter your name exactly as shown above on all filings.
You may want to...
- Ensure the valid EIN is entered correctly on all filings with the IRS
Answers to Common Questions
Have the payments I made and returns I filed under the incorrect EIN been moved to the valid EIN?
Yes, your valid EIN contains the history of the erroneously assigned EIN.
Tips for next year
- Ensure your EIN is entered correctly on all filings with the IRS.
- You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.