Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding Your CP210 CP220 Notice

We made change(s) for the tax year specified on the notice.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully. It explains the changes we made to your tax account.
  • If you agree, make your payment (if you have a balance) by your due date. Go to the payments page to find out more about your payment options.
  • If you disagree, contact us at the toll-free number on the top right corner of your notice.
  • Correct the copy of your tax return that you kept for your records.

You may want to

Download additional information pertaining to your tax account.

Answers to common questions

Q. The notice says "Based on the information you provided, we changed your 200X Form XXXX to correct your...", but I don't remember sending any change to IRS. How can I find out what IRS received to initiate this change?

A. Please contact us at the number listed on the top right corner of your notice for specific information about your tax return. 

Q. What do I say when I call the IRS?

A. Mention that you received a CP210 or CP 220 notice and you need to review your account with a customer service representative. Be sure to have a copy of your notice and your tax return before you call. 

Q. What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?

A. If you disagree, contact us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice. 

Q. What happens if I can't pay the full amount I owe?

A. See if you may be able to set up a payment plan through our Online Payment Agreement Application

Q. Am I charged interest on the money I owe?

A. If you don't full pay the amount you owe by the date on your notice, interest will accrue on the unpaid balance after that date. 

Q. Will I receive a penalty if I can't pay the full amount?

A. Yes, you'll receive a late payment penalty if you did not pay the tax in full. You can contact us at the number listed on your notice if you’re unable to pay the full amount shown in your specific notice because of circumstances beyond your control. Contact us by the due date of your payment and, depending on your situation, we may be able to remove the penalty. 

Q. What if I'm due a refund and haven't received it within 2-3 weeks?

A. If you don't owe other taxes or debts we're required to collect, such as child support, and 3 weeks have lapsed, call us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice. 

Q. Will I receive information about the interest that I need to report on my next tax return?

A. If you were paid $10 or more in interest, you'll receive a Form 1099-INT from IRS by January 31st of next year. Please note, even if the interest amount paid to you is less than $10, you must report this amount on your tax return. 

Q. What if I need to make another correction to my account?

A. You'll need to file an amended return. 

Q. What if I have tried to get answers and after contacting IRS several times have not been successful?

A. Call Taxpayer Advocate at 1-877-777-4778 or for TTY/TDD 1-800-829-4059. 

Q. What if I think I’m a victim of identity theft?

A. Please contact us at the number listed on the top right corner of your notice. Refer to the IRS Identity Theft resource page for more information.

Tips for next year

  • Consider filing your taxes electronically in the future if you did not file this return electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes. Learn more about e-file.


Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help