We denied your request to extend the time to file Form 5500 series and/or Form 8955-SSA because your Form 5558, Application for Extension of Time To File Certain Employee Plan Returns, wasn’t received on time. A request for an extension of the time to file Form 5500 series and/or 8955-SSA must be received on or before the due date of your return.
What you need to do
- File your required Form 5500 series and/or 8955-SSA immediately to limit any late filing penalties. If Form 5500 series and/or 8955-SSA is filed after the due date of the return, we will consider the return late and subject to late filing penalties.
You may want to
- Review the filing requirement for your organization at Retirement Plans Community.
Answers to Common Questions
Where can I go for more information about Employee Benefit Plans?
Review the filing requirement for your organization at Retirement Plans Community.
Can I get help over the phone?
If you have questions or need help, you can call 1-877-829-5500. Personal assistance is available Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CT.
Tips for next year
Be sure to mail your Form 5558 on or before the due date of your return.
Review the Form 5558 resources at Form 5500 Corner.
Tax publications you may find useful
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer (PDF)
- Form 5500-EZ, Annual Return of One-Participant (Owners and Their Spouses) (PDF)
- Form 5500-EZ Instructions (PDF)
- Form 8955-SSA, Annual Registration Statement Identifying Separated Participants With Deferred Vested Benefits (PDF)
- Form 8955-SSA Instructions (PDF)
- Full list of tax forms and instructions
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF).
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.