We denied your request to extend the time to file Form 5500 series and/or Form 8955-SSA because your Form 5558, Application for Extension of Time To File Certain Employee Plan Returns, wasn’t received on time. A request for an extension of the time to file Form 5500 series and/or 8955-SSA must be received on or before the due date of your return.
What you need to do
- File your required Form 5500 series and/or 8955-SSA immediately to limit any late filing penalties. If Form 5500 series and/or 8955-SSA is filed after the due date of the return, we will consider the return late and subject to late filing penalties.
You may want to
- Review the filing requirement for your organization at Retirement Plans Community.
Frequently asked questions
Where can I go for more information about Employee Benefit Plans?
Review the filing requirement for your organization at Retirement Plans Community.
Can I get help over the phone?
If you have questions or need help, you can call 1-877-829-5500. Personal assistance is available Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CT.
Tips for next year
Be sure to mail your Form 5558 on or before the due date of your return.
Review the Form 5558 resources at Form 5500 Corner.
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer
- Form 5500-EZ, Annual Return of One-Participant (Owners and Their Spouses)
- Form 5500-EZ Instructions
- Form 8955-SSA, Annual Registration Statement Identifying Separated Participants With Deferred Vested Benefits
- Form 8955-SSA Instructions
- Full list of tax forms and instructions