We denied your request to extend the time to file Form 5330 because your Form 5558, Application for Extension of Time To File Certain Employee Plan Returns, didn’t state a reason why you need the extension.
What you need to do
- File Form 5330 or a correct Form 5558 by the due date of the Form 5330. If Form 5330 is filed after the due date of the return (including any extensions), the return will be considered late and subject to late filing penalties.
You may want to
- Review the filing requirement for your organization at Retirement Plans Community.
Answers to Common Questions
Where can I go for more information about Employee Benefit Plans?
For more information on Employee Benefit Plans, see Retirement Plans Community.
Can I get help over the phone?
If you have questions and/or need help, please call 1-877-829-5500. Personal assistance is available Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CT.
Tips for next year
- Be sure to sign and mail your Form 5558 with a reason you need an extension on or before the due date of your return.
- Review the Form 5558 resources at Form 5500 Corner.
- You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.