We need information to complete the termination of your private foundation status.
What you need to do
- Complete Form 8940, Request for Miscellaneous Determination Under Section 507, 509(a), 4940, 4942, 4945, and 6033 of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Return the completed form to us by the date indicated in your notice.
You may want to
Review the termination procedures for Private Foundations in Publication 4779, Facts about Terminating or Merging Your Exempt Organization.
Answers to Common Questions
Which organizations must file a Form 990-PF?
Form 990-PF must be filed by:
- Exempt private foundations (section 6033(a), (b), and (c))
- Taxable private foundations (section 6033(d))
- Organizations that agree to private foundation status and their applications for exempt status are pending on the due date for filing
- Organizations that made an election under section 41(e)(6)
- Foundations that are making a section 507 termination
- Section 4947(a)(1) nonexempt charitable trusts treated as private foundations (section 6033(d))
When is Form 990-PF due?
Form 990-PF is due by the 15th day of the 5th month following the close of the foundation's accounting period. For a calendar year taxpayer, Form 990-PF is due on May 15 of the following year. If any due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the foundation can file the return on the next business day.
Can I get help over the phone?
If you have questions or need help completing the form, please call 1-877-829-5500. Personal assistance is available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT.
Where can I go for more information about tax-exempt organizations?
For more information on tax-exempt organizations see Tax Information for Charities & Other Non-Profits or Tax Information for Private Foundations.
Tips for next year
Review the tax-exempt organization resources atForm 990 Resources and Tools for Exempt Organizations
Tax publications you may find useful
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer
- Publication 557, Tax Exempt Status for Your Organization
- Publication 583, Starting a Business and Keeping Records
- Publication 4221-PC, Compliance Guide for 501(c)(3) Private Charities
- Instructions for Forms 1023, 1024, 1041, and/or 1120
- Form 990 Filing Threshold
- Publication 4221-PF, Compliance Guide for 501(c)(3) Private Foundations
- Instructions for Form 990-PF
- Find a copy of any necessary tax forms and instructions
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF)
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.