Understanding your CP259F Notice


We're sending you this notice because our records indicate you did not file a required Form 5227, Split-Interest Trust information Return.

What you need to do

  • Disregard this notice if you have filed the return within the last four weeks using the same name and EIN listed on the notice.
  • Otherwise, file your required Form 5227 immediately according to the instructions on the notice.
    • If you don't think you need to file, complete the Response form enclosed with your notice and mail it to us using the envelope provided.
    • If you filed more than four weeks ago or used a different name or EIN, complete the Response form enclosed with your notice and mail it to us in the envelope provided along with a signed and dated copy of the return.

You may want to

Frequently asked questions

Which organizations must file a Form 5227?
Form 5227 must be filed by all charitable remainder trusts described in section 664; all pooled income funds described in section 642(c)(5); and all other trusts such as charitable lead trusts that meet the definition of a split-interest trust under section 4947(a)(2), unless certain exceptions apply (see General Instructions of the Form 5227 Instructions).

When is Form 5227 due?
Form 5227 is due by April 15 of each year. If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the organization can file the return on the next business day. More information can be found at the Form 5227 Instructions.

Can I get help over the phone?
If you have questions and/or need help completing the form, please call 1-877-829-5500. Personal assistance is available Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CT.

Where can I go for more information about tax-exempt organizations?
For more information on tax-exempt organizations see Tax Information for Charities & Other Non-Profits.

Tips for next year

Form 990, Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax PDF

Need Help?