CP285 notifies BMF taxpayers the reason their Form 1128, Application To Adopt, Change, or Retain a Tax Year, was denied.
What you need to do
Continue filing your annual income tax return on the tax year you have historically used. If you are a new entity, use the tax year assigned when you received the notice of EIN assignment (CP575, 576, etc.).
You may want to
Submit a newly completed, timely Form 1128 for next tax year.
Tax publications you may find useful
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer (.pdf)
- Publication 538, Accounting Periods and Methods (.pdf)
- Full list of tax forms and instructions
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (.pdf).
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.