IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding Your CP286 Notice

We send this notice when we approve Form 8716, Election To Have a Tax Year Other Than a Required Tax Year.

What you need to do

You may want to

Answers to Common Questions

What should I do if I want to change my tax year for Form 1065 or Form 1120S to a calendar year filing?
File a final Form 8752, which will terminate your section 444 election. If you have a credit on your account, you must file a final Form 8752 for us to refund the payments to you. You must also file a short period business income tax return with your final Form 8752 (Form 1065 or Form 1120S) ending December 31.

Do I need to file Form 8752 when I don’t owe a payment?
Yes. You must file Form 8752 each year the section 444 election is in effect, even if no payment is due.

What if I am no longer required to file a Form 1065 or Form 1120S? Do I need to ask the IRS to terminate my election?
Yes. You must send a final Form 1065 or Form 1120S, along with a final Form 8752.

Are there any consequences if I don’t file Form 8752 or send in my payment when I file?
Failure to file or failure to pay will result in the termination of your fiscal year election.


Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 13-Jan-2016

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)



How to get help