We denied your Form 8716, Election To Have a Tax Year Other Than a Required Tax Year, election because we show you established your tax year as a calendar year.
What you need to do
File your annual return at the end of your required tax year, usually December 31st.
Answers to common questions
Is there another way to elect the use of a fiscal tax year?
If you’re a subchapter S corporation, you may be eligible to elect a fiscal tax year under Revenue Procedure 2006-46.
Tax publications you may find useful
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer (PDF)
- Form 8716, Election To Have a Tax Year Other Than a Required Tax Year (PDF)
- Form W-7A Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions (PDF)
- Form W-7 SP Solicitud de Número de Identificación Personal del Contribuyente del Servicio de Impuestos Internos (SP)(PDF)
- Full list of tax forms and instructions
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF)
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.