We denied your Form 8716, Election To Have a Tax Year Other Than a Required Tax Year, because your deferral period is more than 3 months. We’ll mail your denied Form 8716 separately.
What you need to do
File your annual return at the end of your required tax year, usually December 31st.
You may want to
Keep this notice for your permanent records.
Answers to common questions
What is a “deferral period”?
The number of months between the last day of the elected tax year and the last day of the required tax year.
Tax publications you may find useful
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer (PDF)
- Form 8716, Election To Have a Tax Year Other Than a Required Tax Year (PDF)
- Form W-7A Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions (PDF)
- Form W-7 SP Solicitud de Número de Identificación Personal del Contribuyente del Servicio de Impuestos Internos (SP)(PDF)
- Full list of tax forms and instructions
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF)
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.